Silver Jewelry Care
Take care of your jewelry and it will shine for years
While every piece of jewelry looks beautiful when new, they can end up looking faded and may lose their shine if not cared for well. Regardless of the price or jewelry brand, all affordable and high end luxury jewelry needs to be looked after.
Follow these simple steps to protect your jewelry
1. Keep your jewelry dry. Take off your jewelry before showering, bathing, swimming or performing any sports.
2. Try not to expose your jewelry to everyday chemicals such as hair products, cosmetics, perfumes, or direct sunlight, as they are likely to damage them. Keep them away from wool, latex, felt, rubber, vinegar, lemon and acidic foods as well.
3. Sort out your jewelry whether it is silver, gold or pearl so that you can use different methods for cleaning them. Place them separately in individual containers or pouches.
4. Store your jewelry in zip or drawstring purses. Ensure that they are soft cloth like velvet or cotton. Avoid linen, net and jersey.This is the best way to protect your jewelry from external elements.
5. Keep your chains clasped to keep them from getting tangled.
6. Use silver type cleaners for cleaning silver jewelry or warm soapy water. It is safer and the most effective way to retain shine in jewelry, but don’t leave your jewelry in the dip for more than a few seconds. Make sure you dry them properly post cleaning. Do not use cleaning solutions on gemstones.
7. Regularly polish your silver jewelry to avoid tarnishing. Gently polish them weekly or at least once a month. Gently clean your jewelry with a soft, clean cloth such as the one we provide to maximize the shine.
8. Avoid using abrasive cleaners on jewelry. The chemicals in these cleaners are extremely harsh and are likely to damage the metals.
9. Do not use silver cleaners or silver polishing cloths on gold plated jewelry.